Creative Commons License

Tuesday 18 October 2016

Library Tales: Dedication VIII

To Elektra and Maria in the hope that they will
             excuse my prolonged self-absorption.
[Profiting without producing by Costas Lapavitsas]


To everyone who helped me find my way back.
[Interconnecting Cisco Network devices, Part 2 by Joe Tiso]


To Ann
Your goodness has made many things possible
and everything worthwhile.
[Bad men do what good men dream by Robert I. Simon]


To Nina, born into a world full of technology, which still
needs magic and dreams. May they all come true.
[Successful Web Marketing for the Tourism and Leisure Sectors by Susan Briggs]


To Dick Cropp, the ultimate tour guide of life. I couldn't
have made it this far without your leadership.
Rick
To Rick's father, Dick Cropp. You guided him well and I thank you.
Barbara
For Dick Bellamy, who puts up with my erratic schedule,
reminds me to eat when I'm working late, and is always
willing to bring me a cup of tea and oatmeal cookies.
Susan
[Start and run a profitable tour guiding business by B. Braidwood, S.M. Boyce, and R. Cropp - please, no d*ck jokes - cgm]


To Ruth and Alex, who often wondered why their holidays
took them within range of so many local libraries.
[Scotland for the holidays by Alastair J. Durie]


To the Barkers, of Fields Farm, Coningsby, Lincolnshire,
for their generosity in allowing me to experience the pleasure
of holidays on a real farm for many years
To the Springetts for their own little bit of New Zealand rurality
To Julie for what we share away from urban life, and to Schaapie my
friend and colleague
Finally, this work is dedicated to The Archers, for many urbanites the only
contact which they have with rural life
[Tourism and Recreation in Rural Areas edited by Richard Butler et al]


To the wandering islands
and one of the best ones 
[Tourism and Politics by Colin Michael Hall]
[Note: C. Michael Hall, dedicates other books to 'the Wandering Islands']
[These?]


For Ithiel de Sola Pool (1917-1984),
who saw it all coming
[Old Media New Media by Wilson Dizard, jr.]


To my parents, John and Nancy Fennell
for inspiring me to live your philosophy of 'roots and wings'
'Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accomplished alone;
therefore, we are saved by love.' (Reinhold Niebuhr)
[Tourism Ethics by David A. Fennell]


To that sense of pace and past
and that landscape of colours
which remains Ellen Vannin.
[Tourism and Heritage Attractions by Richard Prentice]
['Ellan Vannin' is the Isle of Man in Manx]


x

This might be my last 'dedications' for a while, because although I quite enjoy collecting them. They are starting to get a little repetitive. Look, I get it! If I wrote a book I'd dedicate it to my loved ones too, but an academic textbook? Or worse, no dedication at all. That's just lazy. I might try and think of something to at least make the list-making aspect slightly more interesting, perhaps a spreadsheet? Gosh, do we librarians love a spreadsheet! That or images, perhaps blurry photos will increase the wow factor? Divisive political views? I could just slip them in... smash the system. Either way, now I've just withdrawn (withdrew?) the entirety of the former tourism section (did you guess?) and all the new term's books have arrived, they might be a short lull anyway. Good reading!